Whoa! Only a few hours after sending out a notification about a big Market maintenance, Google sneakily updated the Market publishing interface with a variety of new options, pointing to nothing less than an updated Market likely to launch very soon, probably together with Gingerbread. The presence of higher resolution graphics underscores Google's newly embraced support for tablets and TVs, and possibly suggests that Market web interface we've been waiting for since Google I/O is finally around the corner.
Here are all the new options available to developers publishing their apps, in addition to the 2 screenshots and the promotional graphic+text (I can't think of a place where the latter is used):
- High Resolution Application Icon - 512w x 512h, 24 bit PNG or JPEG (no alpha). This seems to be a required field now
- Feature Graphic - 1024w x 500h, 24 bit PNG or JPEG (no alpha), will be downsized to mini or micro
- Promotional Video - Enter YouTube URL
The existing Promo Text and Promo Graphic fields are probably about to start playing a big role as well, as they've been sitting idle for as long as I can remember.
Excitement, can you feel it!?
Update 11/17/2010: Google just sent the official announcement. One noteworthy part is that the number of screenshots is going up from 2 to 8 soon. If this is not for the web version of the Market, I don't know what is.
We're writing to inform you about some changes to Android Market that require your attention.
First, we have added support for a recent changes feature, which allows you to add notes about changes specific to the newest version of your application. You are able to submit these from the Developer Console, similar to descriptions. In the Market app, these notes will appear under the app description as "Recent changes."
Second, there is now a ‘draft upload’ capability for application updates. This feature enables you to edit your app listing and upload a new version without affecting the version live in Market. Your app listing edits will not change your live listing until you select “Publish.”
Finally, we are adding support for larger promotional graphics to showcase your application. In addition to the currently required app screenshot, you will be required to upload one “feature” graphic. Supported promotional assets will now include:
- A “feature” graphic, landscape aspect ratio, 1024 x 500 (required).
- A high-res icon, 512 x 512 (required).. The Android icon design guidelines located at http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/ui_guidelines/icon_design.html apply.
- 2 screen shots, 320w x 480h, 480w x 854h, or 480w x 800h, increasing to 8 screen shots in the future (1 required).
- A link for a promotional video hosted on YouTube (optional).
Thanks, and we look forward to continue working with you on Android Market.
The Android Market Team
Huge thanks to Tom for sending in the alert