Awesome news today on the Droid X front: the first custom ROM for the Droid X has been released by birdman. For anyone not living under a rock, this is a pretty big deal - Motorola was pretty serious about locking down the Droid X, and it's a relief to see that manufacturers can't completely kill the aftermarket.
The ROM seems to be based on the earlier leaked 2.2 ROM, and has only a handful of customizations:
- OptiPNG optimized apk's
- Updated Superuser.apk (credits to chainsdd)
- 3g hotspot
- Kindle (market app)
- Blockbuster (bankrupt company)
- EMERGENCY (dial 911 for emergency's...dont screw around with an app)
- My Verizon (bad market app)
- Maps (market app)
- Voice search (market app)
- Swype (removed for their constant anger towards rom devs)
- Skype (market app)
- Google search (market app)
The ROM can be downloaded via ROM Manager, and as far as flashing it goes, it looks like you'll need to be rooted and have ClockworkMod Recovery. You'll also have to have the leaked 2.2 ROM installed. Assuming you've got all those things, you're good to go - flash away, and let us know your thoughts on it.
[Source: Steven Bird (a.k.a. Birdman)]