Android user nbetcher, with the help of ChiefzReloaded, has come up with a new method to achieve root for the T-Mobile MyTouch Slide. The process was just finalized and is still rather technical, but Chiefz says an APK is coming soon, with a one-click sure to follow.
Technically, this method grants a specific program root, rather than the whole phone - thus, a full-phone root must follow. Again, these instructions are certainly on the technical side - if you’re not comfortable doing this, an APK and one-click will follow.
- Extract the zip
- Make sure your phone is in USB debugging mode AND you are in "Charge Only" mode.
- Connect your phone to your computer.
- Make sure you're in the same directory as where exploid is extracted before continuing to the next step.
- Issue the following command: adb push exploid /sqlite_stmt_journals. Note: It MUST be in that directory - NO exceptions.
- Configure your phone's display to never timeout. (You may allow timeout to be present after you reboot or reflash to another rom.)
- Run: adb shell
- Run: cd /sqlite_stmt_journals
- Run: chmod 0755 exploid
- Run: ./exploid
- Turn on your phone's Wifi (however you wish to do that).
- Now (again) run: ./exploid
- It should prompt you for a password, enter: secretlol. If it didn't prompt you for a password, but instead just output the same text that it did the first time you ran it, then something isn't setup right. Make sure to follow the directions verbatim. If you suspect you did follow them correctly, please reply to this post letting me know.
- You should now be root! At this point you can do many things, but if you're looking to downgrade, continue Eugene's instructions in previous posts on how to flash "ENG" that is linked here. Download the ESPRIMG on that page to your SD card, then follow the rest of the instructions, followed by rebooting into HBOOT (using Volume Down + Power) and flashing the "update" once it asks you if you want to.
Important: If you do nothing after step 14 then you are not "rooted." This program grants itself root permissions in a shell, that is ALL. If you want to root your phone after this step then you need to follow instructions on how to do so. I will post separate instructions+files for that later. Hold tight!
I asked Chiefz for clarification on what the last part means, and what is required to achieve full root. To quote him:
What it does is gives you a root shell to cp the mtd0.img and then flash_image binary to /data/local so you can downgrade to root. Then chmod and link to the misc partition which is untouchable without root... no need for race condition adb drama.
I have no idea what half of that means, but what I’m getting out of it is that once you run the above exploit, you can downgrade to an older OTA in order to root with one of the earlier methods.
As usual, these guys put a ton of time and effort into this. I’ve already sent a donation Chiefz’ way even though I don’t have an MTS, and if this helps you, you should consider doing the same.