Well, the last few days have been pretty crazy, haven't they? Froyo OTAs hit on 2 major phones, one by one. First, on Monday, the final Froyo version came out for the EVO 4G, and today we saw Verizon's 2.2 show up as well.
Now that the dust has settled a bit, I'd like to take a step back and describe some of the EVO 4G specific Froyo fixes and features we've been seeing on our EVOs.
New Features And Fixes
A good portion of these bullets were written by a Quang Nguyen - our brave EVO tester
1. Lock phone after X minutes of sleep. You can set the phone to truly lock and require your security pattern as soon as the screen times out or 3, 5, 10, or 15 minutes after. This lets you quickly re-access your phone without having to swipe your unlock pattern. Great for a frequent texter like me.
2. Manage Applications (the one in Settings) opens and loads everything in less than 2 seconds. It now defaults to showing you your downloaded apps instead of showing everything in one huge list. You can also tab to running apps, all apps, and apps installed on your SD card.
3. GChat has been redesigned. It has a new look and feel. The buddy list is white and conversations flow and blend together a little bit better. I also believe chats will now autoclose properly, seemingly after the contact signs off. Previously, all chats remained open until I closed them manually or restarted the phone.
4. HTC Facebook picture bug fixed. If you linked your contacts with your Facebook contacts, you might have noticed that your contacts' pictures never updated. The bug is now fixed and the pictures will update when the phone syncs. Also Facebook statuses will scroll along your contacts image during a phone call. Not sure why I'd ever want to see that, but it was neat to see.
5. HTC music app seems much snappier. I no longer need to use MixZing in order to play music. I'm not sure if this is a result of HTC updating their music app code or if 2.2's JIT compiling has made it faster.
6. Youtube app seems more reliable. Back on my Hero, as well as my 2.1 EVO, I'd often get a bunch of videos that I'd try to launch with little success (can't remember the error message off the top of my head, but I haven't gotten that message once since the update).
7. The camcorder app now uses an LED light. Unfortunately QIK does not take advantage of it, and I've only really used QIK. I probably will now switch over and used the normal camcorder and just upload videos in QIK.
8. Camera menu now works in the vertical mode. It even has a nice sliding animation when switching orientation. Previously, the menu was locked to the horizontal orientation.
9. The stock browser. Whenever you Googled something, then clicked on one of the search results, if you ever hit Back, it would ask you if you were sure you wanted to go back and that you would have to resubmit your post. No longer the situation. I don't know how that bug ever slipped in.
10. There are 2 new apps: App Sharing and Flashlight. The flashlight app is OK, but I think there are better apps out there (LED Desire Light, for example), and they also come with a flashlight widget.
11. Gmail app has been updated. It finally has text selection!
12. The Google Search widget now lets you quickly select what you want to search - all, web, music, etc (there is a setting to turn on more search items in the Settings menu).
13. Automatic app update and mass update, as expected (this is part of Froyo). Each app now has a separate auto-update setting that lets you turn it off selectively.
14. The horizontal screen orientation now works both ways - clockwise and counter-clockwise.
This should do for now. If we missed something major, please don't be shy to point out exactly what it was in the comments - and then vote for your favorite addition in the poll.