What a great day for Motorola Droid owners - your Froyo update that you've been patiently waiting for is finally here. You can upgrade your ESE81 (that's your old Éclair) to what is now called FRG01B (this is your Froyo) using the link below.
It is unclear yet whether the upgrade is showing up when you ask the phone to update in Settings > About > System updates but we have preliminary reports that it is not. However, you can upgrade manually using the procedure below.
This post will be updated throughout the day.
Warning #2: This update will only work on Droids running a stock version of Android 2.1. If you are rooted or running a custom ROM, this update will not work.
- Download the update file and rename it to update.zip.
Note #1: DO NOT UNZIP THIS FILE
Note #2: Make sure you didn't rename this to update.zip.zip by accident, if your Windows is configured to not show file extensions.
- Place in the root of your SD card (connect via USB and mount as a drive, transfer via Bluetooth, download directly on the phone by clicking the links above or scanning the QR codes - pick your poison).
- Reboot into recovery mode (power off, then hold the keyboard X button and press the power button).
- You will be presented with the recovery menu.
Note: you may see an exclamation (!) point at this stage. Hold the Volume Up button, then press the Camera button - this should load the recovery screen.
- Select “apply update.zip” or “install from .zip” (depending on your recovery image).
- The installation process will take 10-15 minutes and one reboot.
Update #1: Here are some screenshots from our Droid:
- if you hold Home, now the Recently Used program list contains 8 programs instead of 6 and is no longer boxed in
- 5 homescreens instead of 3
- USB tethering is here
- Froyo WiFi tethering is not
- auto-rotation now rotates both clockwise and counter-clockwise
- Flash is not enabled or even present from what I can tell. It is also not available in the Market. Update: you can download and install Flash manually from here
- the app launcher now has faded and darkened top and bottom edges
- changed SMS app
- changed Alarm app
- the dock mode Home button flow is fixed - now hitting Home when the phone is docked goes back to the dock home rather than the home screen
- the dock mode now has a screensaver
- anything else we're missing? Note it down in the comments
Credit: xda-developers for the first leak
Thanks to: Droid-life for finding the official link