Awesome ROM dev Flipz has sent out a beta of his newest ROM(Fresh Evo 3.0) to testers. Unlike other FroYo ROMs, such as CM6, Fresh Evo 3.0 is based on the official (but not final) Android 2.2 update (accidentally) released by HTC last night, rather than AOSP (Android Open Source Project) code. Hopefully, this provides an experience close to stock, but with minor improvements.
Fresh ROMs tend to provide better performance (both in terms of benchmarks such as Linpack, and in terms of usability – scrolling smoothness and so forth). They also remove all the bloatware bundled with the phone – such as Sprint Navigation, while adding features such as Wireless Tether and SuperUser. The only real downside with this ROM is that it requires a full wipe before flashing.
I ran Fresh on my EVO from purchase until last week, and am a huge fan Fresh ROM’s. Be sure to hit up the source link and keep an eye out – when Flipz releases the ROM, it’s sure to be a winner.
Changes from Fresh Evo 1.0.1 to 3.x:
- Based on the HTC/Sprint Android 2.2 OTA update — FroYo!
- HTC has said on twitter that this may not be the official release. If there are any changes when the “official” one shows up then Fresh Evo will be updated. http://twitter.com/htc/status/19949859328
- New boot.img based on the newest HTC kernel (g746f4f0)
- Updated estrongs file explorer to 22.214.171.124
- Updated launcher pro to 0.7.1
- Google maps updated to 4.4.0
- Apps2sd updated to DarkTremor 2.7.5 RC1
- SuperUser updated to 2.2.2
- WiFi Tether updated to 2.0.5p4
- New base was fully deodexd
- New base was pngoptimized and zipaligned
- 270 rotation is in there stock now thanks to HTC
- Vanilla lock screen works out of the box now thanks to HTC not breaking it.
- Removed certain applications and moved them to /sdcard/fresh-removed-apks-3/. Some can be installed by just running them from es file explorer. If you get an error during the install then you’ll need to manually install that application by moving it to /system/app/.
- All the other normal Fresh goodies as outlined in the Fresh Evo changelog: http://geekfor.me/evo/21/fresh-evo-official-change-log/