We’ve just received word that the EVO4G OTA to FroYo (internally known at HTC as update 3.26) is now available for download directly from HTC’s website. Link below.
We’ve provided some simple instructions for installing the update:
- Download the update file and rename it to update.zip.
Note #1: DO NOT UNZIP THIS FILE
Note #2: Make sure you didn't rename this to update.zip.zip by accident, if your Windows is configured to not show file extensions.
- Place in the root of your SD card (connect via USB and mount as a drive, transfer via bluetooth, download directly on the phone - pick your poison).
- Reboot into recovery mode (hold the Volume Up button while your phone is booting).
- You will be presented with the boot loader. The Volume Up/Down buttons navigate the menu, and the Power button selects.
Note: you may see the red exclamation (!) point at this stage. Try mashing the up/down/power buttons and wait for 10-15 seconds. The recovery should eventually come up.
- Select Bootloader.
- Scroll down to Recovery and select it.
- The phone will reboot again, this time into recovery.
- Select “apply update.zip” or “install from .zip” (depending on your recovery image).
- The installation process will take 15-20 minutes and a few reboots.
This update offers:
- Ability to share applications
- Display events and birthdays from Facebook on Calendar
- Use camera LED as flashlight
- New user interface for the FM radio
- Add unknown users in Facebook as friends in Friend Stream
- Photo Gallery supports Facebook comments function
- Send contact as vCard using SMS
- Addition of MMS slideshow editor
- New pre-loaded widgets including Calculator, FM radio, Message list view, Profile settings and Ringtone settings
- Camcorder can use camera flash so video can be shot at night or in low light
- Flash 10.1 support
- Numeric PIN and alpha-numeric passwords to unlock screen
- Search widget and search bar able to switch to search in different types (web, specific application, or all)
- Adjustable alarm volume
- Android Market widget allows installation of applications on SD card
Happy downloading everyone!
Update #3: here are some pictures I took while updating the EVO. Sorry for the blurry quality - I was taking it with another EVO (/head explodes).
Update #5: To reconfirm, the update is indeed not final. Here's what HTC sent to one of AndroidForums.com readers: