[Update – 7/22 7:45 AM EST]: The unrevoked root method doesn’t work with CM6 – you must either use Toast’s method or SimpleRoot. Thanks for posting up your results guys, keep them coming!]
Cyanogen, the biggest name in Android ROMs, has released their first FroYo ROM for the HTC EVO. While still a “nightly” build, many users are reporting it is very stable. However, as with most FroYo ROMs to day, there are a number of things that don’t work just yet – although it is the only FroYo ROM with working cameras.
The more significant issues right now:
- No sense – it’s AOSP (stock Android) with ADW Launcher running over top
- No 4G
- Google Apps must be reinstalled
- No FM Radio
There are a ton of smaller issues as well. That said, many users are happy to have made the switch – the browser and the phone itself runs much faster on FroYo (and the CPU can be overclocked, to boot). Cyanogen has also incorporated much better Bluetooth support into their ROMs – now you can do things like use a BT keyboard with your phone.
Check out the two videos below for a demo of the build:
Installing the ROM requires the lasted Radio and WiMax images to be flashed first – but other than that, it’s pretty similar to every other ROM installation:
GOOGLE APPS is needed so you can have market and ect. This is a must
http://kanged.net/mirror/gapps/gapps...1-2-signed.zip (More mirrors below)
Starting from a rooted, NAND-unlocked phone with a custom recovery image
Wipe (Dalvik and Cache too)
Flash latest EVO Radio image - http://www.mediafire.com/?yn2tzizujwm
Flash latest EVO WiMAX image - http://www.mediafire.com/?dtjhln0ztyh
Flash CM6 nightly - http://buildbot.teamdouche.net/nightly/supersonic/
Flash GAPPS - http://www.mediafire.com/file/w8kw22...1-2-signed.zip http://kanged.net/mirror/gapps/gapps...1-3-signed.zip http://kanged.net/mirror/download.ph...F91-signed.zip
1) Go into Recovery - RA or CW - it doesn't matter. Proven to work on both.
2) Wipe Data
3) Wipe Cache/Dalvik - iif you have that choice depending on Recovery
4) Install from zip on sdcard
5) Locate CM 6 - nightly build
6) Install the CM 6
7) Once that is completed - install the Radio. If you have already done this - please skip.
8) Skip the WiMax for you. It doesn't function at the moment anyways.
9) Install the gapps - with the "hdpi" not the "mdpi"(for smaller screens) make sure its the FRF91 signed apk. So a search for it. It's been posted and mirrors a million times already.
10) Once completed - select reboot and the swirling lines should go from multi-color to blue and then boot up. Give it a few mins. Everyone is different on the time length. It should not take over 5 mins.
As this is an experimental nightly build, expect updates to come out frequently (hence the name “nightly”). Personally, I’m going to wait just a little longer before I make the jump from Fresh 1.0.1 – maybe Artem will take the plunge (he’s running DC 3.2.3).
I’m genuinely curious to see how this is working out for people and what other little issues exist. If you take the plunge (download link is in the source), be sure to let us know how things go.