Tonight in New York City, Sprint unveils a whopper, and it has nothing (or very little, anyway) to do with Disney's new film Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.
It has everything, however, to do with the newest Android bit of gold: the release date of the HTC EVO 4G, the first 4G phone on Sprint's 4G wireless network.
Until now, all we've seen is a teaser on the phone's home page indicating that it will be available summer 2010 and some unconfirmed rumors about June 6th release date and $199. But now we know for sure when this beauty will hit the streets and how much it will cost. Get ready, people. Here it is:
RELEASE DATE: June 4th 2010
MOBILE HOTSPOT PRICE: $29.99/mo
4G PRICE: $10/mo
According to the official press release of the event, Sprint says:
America's First 4G Phone, HTC EVOTM 4G, Debuts on June 4 Packed with Industry-Leading Features Including Access to Mobile Video Chat, Simultaneous Voice and Data and HD Video Capture Sprint leads the 4G revolution with the highly anticipated, award-winning HTC EVO 4G priced at just $199.99; add mobile hotspot capability for up to eight devices for just $29.99
You can read the whole press release here.
Boasting a 4.3 inch screen, not one but two cameras (one at 8.0 megapixels), a 1 GHz Snapdragon processor, an HDMI connection, and lots more, this phone is doubtless going to be a hot item. Below are the full specs:
Amazing Features, Beautiful Design
HTC EVO 4G features the latest version of the increasingly popular Android platform, Android 2.1, offering more than 35,000 apps, as well as a mind-blowing list of features, including:
- Simultaneous voice and data capability in 4G and Wi-Fi coverage areas, enabling Web surfing and more while the conversation continues.
- Offering a new way to search with pictures instead of words, Google Goggles(TM) works with everything from books, DVDs and barcodes to landmarks, logos, artwork and wine labels.
- Superfast 1GHz Qualcomm(R) Snapdragon(TM) processor, ensuring a smooth and quick movement within phone menus.
- Two cameras - an 8.0 megapixel auto-focus camera with HD-capable video camcorder and a forward-facing 1.3 megapixel camera.
- Built-in mobile hotspot functionality allowing up to eight Wi-Fi enabled devices to share the 3G or 4G experience on the go with a laptop, camera, music player, game unit, video player, or any other Wi-Fi enabled device.
- Integrated HD video capture with the ability to capture and share live video via the Qik Web site, Facebook, YouTube or Twitter(TM).
- Ability to easily watch video with the device on an HDTV via an HDMI cable (sold separately).
- Custom Web browser optimized for the 4.3 inch display and Sprint 4G speeds to deliver a full, no-compromise Internet experience.
- A handy kickstand built into the back, making it easy to watch videos on-the-go.
- Adobe Flash technology ensures that rich Internet content, such as embedded video and animation, are displayed the way they are meant to be seen.
- Pinch-to-zoom and automatic text reflowing provide easy Web page views.
I've already circled June 4th on my calendar, and it can't come fast enough. To my Hero: we had a good time but it's time to move on.
How about you? Who is getting the EVO on launch day?
Update: just noticed the $10/mo fee for using 4G. While I will gladly pay it, does it change your opinion about getting this phone?