The moment you, MyTouch 3G and G1 users, have been waiting for is here! Only minutes ago Cyanogen announced the availability of CyanogenMod 5.0.7 ROM (v. Test1) which brings Android 2.1 to MT3G and G1:
Full instructions and downloads for this first version (Test1) are available at this CyanogenMod forum post and are cached below (the forum is SLAMMED).
G1 users: note that you need "DangerSPL" (or DeathSPL or Haykuro's SPL or whatever you prefer) in order for this ROM to fit onto your phone.
#include <std_disclaimer.h> /* * Your warranty is now void. * * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. */
There is some new ground being broken here, and a few bugs to still shake out but I believe that it should be pretty stable as a daily driver. Since this is still experimental territory, please help us out with *quality* bug reports (including logs).
It's important to know that the "DangerSPL" (or DeathSPL or Haykuro's SPL or whatever you prefer) is a prerequisite for Dream/G1 users. Magic (MT3G etc) users do *not* need to do this. Ciwrl has written a guide to installing this bootloader. Flashing this bootloader under the wrong conditions can actually brick your device, so pay attention to the guide. CM releases have always avoided this requirement, but the new bootloader frees up enough space so that no crazy hacks are required for a fully functional system, and it's easier to keep in sync with the N1/Droid releases.
What's NOT included that you'd find on a Nexus One:
* Launcher2 (too clunky for these devices)
* Stock Live Wallpapers (LWP support is there, but may not work with all LWP apps and/or performance may be bad)
* Facebook (install from the Market, contact sync works perfect)
* Google Voice (install from Market, push notify works perfect)
* Everything that goes with Eclair
* 3D, video, camera, camcorder, BT, WiFi, etc are all of course working
* Can be used with or without Google applications
* Kernel 220.127.116.11 with tethering support, Compcache, VPN/tun, and other modules (cifs, nfs, aufs, fuse)
* Built in USB tether
* Graphical enhancements, #boobs, and excellent wallpapers by Prash and SatanR1
* Includes BusyBox, htop, nano, powertop, openvpn, bash, irssi, and all engineering commandline utilities
* FLAC audio support from Kenny Root
* Phone enhancements from Cytown
* Contacts enhancements from Wysie
* MMS enhancements from, well, everyone (see changelog)
* Perform zipalign-on-install of applications
* DeskClock tweaks- longer autosilence and "require unlock" option
* Massive APN list
* All available locales are included thanks to PsychoBoy
* 360-degree auto-orientation by Optedoblivion and Elanthis (enable in settings)
* OpenVPN integration thanks to James Bottomley
* Music app can respond to long-press on the volume buttons (from Metalhead)
* Many other bugfixes and tweaks from AOSP contributors
* Tons of work on the build system by Koush and Chris Soyars
All source code is available at the CyanogenMod Github! Send pull requests with your changes!
- First time flashing CM5?
1. Unlock your device and install Clockwork Recovery (ROM Manager on the market) or Amon_RA's recovery image
2. Do a Nandroid backup!
3. Install the DangerSPL if you don't already have it
4. WIPE (I cannot guarantee an upgrade from CM-4.2 to CM-5 will work)
5. Install the ROM
5. Optionally install the Google Addon
1. Do a Nandroid Backup!
2. Install the ROM (your Google apps will be backed up and restored automatically)
HOW TO REPORT BUGS OR PROBLEMS?
- Was it a hard reboot? Get me the file "/proc/last_kmsg".
- Was it a soft reboot or a "boot loop"? Run "adb logcat" and get me the full output.
- Pastebin links preferred
- Please use the issue tracker whenever possible!
Latest version: 5.0.7-DS-test1 - 04/29/2010
Google Addon: EPE54B
A few known issues;
* Camera zoom doesn't work yet, and the preview displayed after taking the picture is garbled. The actual picture is taken fine, though.
* Layout of the pattern-lock and no-sim screens need adjustment
Thank you to EVERYONE involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging and documenting! Enjoy!
What a day! Let us know how it's working out for you in the comments.