If you are interested in the discussion around this release, head over here.
What Is OpenEclair?
OpenEclair is a community ROM based on the AOSP (Android Open Source Project) 2.1 source code (with lots of Cyanogen mixed in).
The goal of OpenEclair is to bring to the community a fast and stable Eclair 2.1 ROM, with contributions from numerous ROM developers.
To clarify what may not be obvious on the OpenEclair site, the ROM is aimed at 2 devices specifically:
OpenEclair is actively developed (just look at the number of filed and fixed bugs), maintained, and tested by the community which means frequent releases, attention to users and testers, $0 price tag (of course), and all the great stuff open source software development brings with it.
So back up all your stuff with Nandroid, the best and most complete Android backup tool, before you attempt to alter your stock OS.
All development is done by volunteers, so if you appreciate their effort, don't hesitate to donate whatever you can to the main contributors Wes Garner and Chris Soyars:
What's New in OpenEclair 1.3?
OpenEclair - v220.127.116.11 - 04/02/2010
- Fixed Framework bug
OpenEclair - v1.3.0 - 04/02/2010
- WG-Kernel 5 v0.8:
- Completely fresh and clean
- Fixed Bluetooth
- Has option to use 3D or RAMHack
- Updated WiFi Drivers to help battery life
- Does NOT require DangerSPL (also fixes install errors)
- Fixed CompCache problems where would not load or would require reboot
- Fixed issues with Su
- Removed all the duplicate ringtones (may have to reset your notification and ringtone sounds)
- Fixed GenieWidget
- Fixed Market troubles
What Are OpenEclair's Main Features?
- AOSP (Android Open Source Project) 2.1r2 Eclair
- Multiple Kernels
- Live Wallpapers
- CompCache/Swap via SpareParts (including size!)
- Swap via SpareParts
- Supports G1/MT3G
- Automatic Apps2SD on G1
- 5 Screen Launcher and Launcher2 from NexusOne
- New Customizable MMS
- WG-Kernel 5 v0.8
Here's a nice compilation of screens from the previous version of OpenEclair, courtesy of AndroidSpin: